The next few weeks are busy at Cook-Wissahickon. Below is a rundown of what’s coming up and a few important notices:
- 11/6: Election Day – No School
- 11/6: WSC Clean-Up Day: Join the Green Committee from 9:30-12:30 for a clean-up day of weeding, maintenance, and help building a new bench for the children’s play area! Kids welcome! Sign up here!
- 11/7,8,9: Report Card Conferences and 12:24 Dismissals
- 11/8: HSA meeting at 6:30 at Cook-Wissahickon (please note the updated day and location for this month’s meeting!). Join us for our monthly HSA meeting—all are welcome! Check out the agenda here and find past meeting minutes here! Come out for a discussion about fundraising goals, to vote on where the money is going, and more. Questions or comments? Email us.
- 11/12: Veterans Day – No School
- 11/13: Family Fun & Fit Night from 5-6 pm for Grades K-2 in the CW Gym
- 11/14: Family Fun & Fit Night from 5-6 pm for Grades 3-5 in the CW Gym
- 11/15: Family Fun & Fit Night from 5-6 pm for Grades 6-8 in the CW Gym
- 11/15: All City Rehearsal for Elementary & Middle School Choir at Tilden
- 11/17: Give Kids Sight Day
- 11/21: Thanksgiving Day Parade rehearsal at the Art Museum for Choir
- 11/22-23: Thanksgiving Break – No School
- 11/22: Choir performing in Thanksgiving Day Parade
- 11/27: WSC Meeting at 6:30 at Foodery Roxborough or
- 11/28: WSC Meeting at 4:00 at CW
- 11/28: All City Rehearsal for Elementary & Middle School Choir at Tilden
HSA Membership: If you aren’t a member yet, it’s not too late. Join Now! Classes with 90% participation by 11/9 will win a pizza party!
School District Survey: Love or hate the new earlier start (and end) to the school year? Wish Spring Break were still a full week? Now is your chance to share your thoughts—the district is asking for feedback. Take the survey.
Classroom Parent Program: We are in the process of kicking on our 2018-19 Classroom Parent Program! This program helps with so much, from organizing donations for the teachers, volunteering for field trips, and helping to increase parent involvement in our school—but we can’t do it without you! So far, we have substantial coverage in K, 1st, and 2nd grades, and have leaders identified for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. We still need leaders for Middle School. The CW HSA will be staffing a table this Wednesday & Thursday during the parent-teacher conferences. If you are interested in getting involved with this program in any way or have questions, please stop by. If you have any other questions, ideas, or concerns, please stop by. We’d love to hear from you! You can also always email the HSA or our volunteer coordinator with any questions.
Volunteer Corner: Do you want to volunteer at CW this year? Please make sure you have all your clearances and then sign up for what you can help with! Check out our current needs here.
Parent & Community Advisory Council: The Philadelphia Board of Education is looking for applicants for its newly created Parent & Community Advisory Council. Interested? You can get more information or apply online here. The deadline for applying is November 9. The application should only take about 15 minutes to fill out.
Donate Games to the Afterschool Program: The CW Afterschool program wants to update its supply of games and activities for students. If you have new or gently used games you’d like to donate, please consider giving to the afterschool program. See Ms. Smith for more details or questions! Thanks!
Note of Thanks From the HSA President: A huge thanks goes out to all the volunteers and guests who braved the sudden change in the weather to join us in the schoolyard for our Movie Night featuring Beauty and the Beast. Movie night would not have been as much fun without the great crowd. And the crowd would not have had an event if not for all of the volunteers. It means a lot to me to see everyone enjoying their night together back at the school. It’s super encouraging to see all the families together, meeting each other, and coming out for a good cause. Thanks to PA Rep Pam DeLissio for coming out and talking to our families. Thanks to Philadelphia City Councilwoman Helen Gym for sending her support. All told we raised $934.24 for improvements in the Cafetorium to support our Cook-Wiss Theater Department.
Thanks also to all those who came out for and volunteered for the Art Department’s 7th Annual Harvest Festival! It was a great evening!
—Dan McGurk, HSA President