Thanks to everyone who joined the HSA this year! As of 9/23/18. Close to 20% of families have joined so far and Rooms 106, K2, and 208 are in the lead for the most members. All classrooms with 90% membership by Oct. 1 will win a pizza party. If you haven’t joined yet, fill out the Google Form now or download a membership form here (You can pay dues via cash, check, or PayPal).
NUT Days: On Fridays and half days throughout the year, students can dress down (No Uniform Today) for $1! This year, we started offering a few option so pay ahead—pay for the year, pay 2 times a year, or if you prefer keep paying by the day! If you want to start paying ahead from October on, please download the updated form here.
Pretzel Order Forms were sent home last week. If you didn’t receive it, downoald one here. Orders for 10/9-12/18 are due 10/3. All students will receive a free pretzel on 10/2!
For anyone interested in volunteering at school this year, Cook-Wissahickon is holding a Volunteer Orientation on 9/25. One session will be held from 9:30-10:15am and another from 1:30-2:15pm! Download the Volunteer Orientation Flyer for more information. If you can’t attend in person, visit https://www.philasd.org/face/volunteer and click “Volunteer Orientation.”
The school selection process opened Friday, Sept. 21 and will be open through Friday, Nov. 2. Presenters from various High Schools will be visiting CW to speak to 8th-grade students (families are welcome to attend) this week:
- Monday, 9/24: CARVER at 1:30PM
- Tuesday, 9/25: Parkway NW at 1:30PM
- Wednesday, 9/26: SLA@Beeber at 2:00PM
- Thursday, 9/27: Central at 1:30PM
- Friday, 9/28: Bodine at 1:30PM
And here are a few dates to keep in mind looking ahead:
- 10/4: HSA Meeting at 5pm at Cook-Wissahickon
- 10/5: Half Day with 12:24 Dismissal
- 10/12: Movie Night showing Beauty and the Beast in the CW Schoolyard at Dusk (Want to volunteer? Sign up here!)
- 10/25: Harvest Festival at CW (4:30-6:30pm) – Look for more information in the coming weeks!
We hope to see lots of new and familiar faces at Back-to-School Night on Thursday, September 13 from 5:30 to 7:30pm!
Hopefully your student brought home several forms in his or her weekly Wednesday folder this week, but in case something was missing or never made its way into your student’s hands, here are links to paperwork we want to make sure you have:
- Join the HSA: You can download a form here or fill out the Google Form to join. All are welcome to join and attend HSA Meetings, but only dues-paying members can vote at meetings. Dues are $5 per family. And good news, we now accept cash, check, or payment via PayPal! Check out the form or link for details.
- NUT Days: On Fridays and half days throughout the year, students can dress down (No Uniform Today) for $1! It’s a great fundraiser for the HSA and helps pay for lots of field trip buses and more. And more great news, if you prefer to pay in advance instead of trying to remember and searching for $1 bills on Friday mornings, you can pay ahead—pay for the year, pay 2 times a year, or if you prefer keep paying by the day! All the details and the form can be found here!
- Uniforms: Embroidered uniform options will now be ordered quarterly. The next order will be placed 9/21 with orders expected back for distribution on 10/10. Download the order form here.
- How to Get Involved with the CW HSA: Check out some ways you might be able to help out here! We’re looking forward to a great year.
Thanks for your continued support! If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas, please let us know. Email email@example.com!
The Cook-Wissahickon HSA needs you! We invite Cook-Wissahickon families to join or renew their membership wih the HSA! We are parents and guardians of students in Cook-Wissahickon Elementary School committed to working together to strengthen our school community and enrich our children’s education. Together with our school’s teachers, staff, and other community partners, we can play a large role in the success of our school. Everyone is welcome to join and participate in monthly HSA meetings, but only dues-paying members can vote. (Dues are $5.00 per family, per year. Additional donations are welcome and appreciated. All money raised goes to supporting CW and our students.) You can also check off volunteering oportunties you might be interested in on the membership form. If you have an idea for the HSA, please reach out. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org anytime with any questions, concerns, ideas, etc!
You can fill out the Google form online or you can download the 2018-19 HSA Membership Form and print it and have your student return it to his/her homeroom teacher in an envelope marked HSA Membership. Payments can be sent to school via cash or check (checks made payable to Cook-Wissahickon HSA). You can also pay via Paypal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=QBK2GHUY3QZ78 – just mark your child(ren)’s name, grade/teacher, and Membership Dues in the space for special instructions. If you have a question about PayPal or any issues, please email email@example.com.
Thanks for your continued support! Our goal is 100% involement. All homerooms that have 90% membership sign-up by Oct. 1 will receive a PIZZA PARTY!
September is a busy month at school – here are some dates, events, and news you should know about:
September 6: HSA Meeting at Hilltown Tavern at 6:30 (see attached PDF for meeting dates for the year or visit https://cookwissahickonhsa.com/2018/09/04/2018-2019-hsa-meetings/)
September 6 or 7: Mandatory Choir Parent Meeting. Attend either on 9/6 at 3:30pm or 9/7 at 5pm in the school library
September 10: Rosh Hashanah – Schools Closed and Administrative Offices Closed
September 13: Back-to-School Night
September 15: WSC’s Green Your Home and Community Event (11-2pm)
September 19: Yom Kippur – Schools Closed and Administrative Offices Closed
September 21: 2019-2020 School Selection Process Begins
September 25: Volunteer Meeting at the school 9:30am and 1:30pm (look for more information to come home from the school soo
Ongoing: NUT Days (No Uniform Today: Students can dress down for $1 on Fridays and half days)
Cook-Wissahickon now has a full-service cafeteria. Breakfast and Lunch are available to all students free of charge daily! Visit https://www.philasd.org/foodservices/about/menu/ to check out the menus for September!
Looking for info about the before and aftercare programs. Visit: https://cookwissahickonhsa.com/2018/09/03/morning-and-aftercare-begins-9-4/
*Times are subject to change
- September 6: Hilltown 6:30pm
- October 4: Cook-Wissahickon 5:00pm
- November 1: Acme (wine and beer section) 6:30pm
- December 13: Cook-Wissahickon 5:00pm
- January 10: Scanlon’s Saloon 6:30pm
- February 7: Cook-Wissahickon 5:00pm
- March 7: The Foodery 6:30pm
- April 4: Cook-Wissahickon 5:00pm
- May 9: Wissahickon Brewery 6:30pm
Please visit the HSA website for important dates https://cookwissahickonhsa.com/calendar/
Morning and aftercare is available starting on Tuesday, 9/4. Just make sure all paperwork is filled out. If you didn’t send in last week, it can be filled out and brought to school on 9/4 and your student can start that day!
We’re hosting a Uniform Swap on Saturday, August 4, at the Pretzel Park Farmer’s Market. You can donate gently used uniforms, pick some up for your student/s, or both. Stop by the CW Table between 10am and 2pm.
Looking to order embroidered CW uniforms? Download the order form here.
The last day of school—June 12—is fast approaching, but there are still quite a few big events coming up! And there have been lots of great things going on with our students.
The musical, Music Man Jr., was a huge success. Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. D and the entire cast and crew on an awesome job. And thanks so much to all the staff and parent volunteers who made it possible!
The middle school and elementary schools also won their championship competition in May! Congrats to all involved! In addition to the team awards, 8th-grade student Sarah (who was a lead in the musical) also won best overall soloist!
Congrats also to the girls softball team for winning their division this season! Awesome job! Congrats, too, to the boys baseball team for a great season!
We’re also proud of all the students who recently participated in Junior Model UN and to students who won awards!
And congrats to the student ballroom dancers who brought home bronze in Dancing Classrooms!
Some upcoming dates to mark your calendars for:
May 30: Pastries with the Principal at 9:00am in the IMC (for parents)
June 4-7: BOGO Book Fair – Have some time to volunteer to help out with book fair, sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4aafad23a6fd0-endofyear
June 6: Board Game Day (bring your favorite board game to lay with friends 1:15 – 3:24
June 7: Field Day: Please send in form and $10 per student by June 1. Didn’t receive the form? Download it here! Also, check out the list of food donations needed by grade. Thanks!
June 8: 8th Grade Commencement
June 8: Beach Reading Day (Brig a beach towel and your favorite book(s)—1:15 to 3:24
June 11: Kindergarten Move UP day
June 11: Talent Show
June 12: Last Day for Students