How to Obtain Volunteer Clearances
All volunteers who work in schools must obtain security clearance from the State of Pennsylvania. Don’t worry–it’s not hard to do! ***It’s important to keep copies of documents for your own files.***
The School District of Philadelphia offers instructions on what you need to do. Visit https://www.philasd.org/face/volunteer/
Anyone who volunteers, chaperones or works with students unsupervised (tutor, small group science projects, etc.) must have completed the required clearances and volunteer orientation.
The HSA is asking all parents who have helped and those considering helping in our school to provide their clearances to the school. Many of you may already have clearances for your job, and it’s a fairly simple process. Volunteers who have lived out of state in the last 10 years also require fingerprinting through the FBI database.
We understand that the process can be confusing, but we can help. This year, Cook-Wissahickon School is lucky to have David Furioni, our Community Partnerships Coordinator, on board. David, along with our Home & School Association, is here to assist and make sure everyone has their clearances completed and paperwork on file at school.
To get started check out: Philasd.org/face/volunteer/
All 5 pieces are required
- Volunteer Orientation Certificate.
- Code of Conduct
- Child Abuse Clearance
- PA State Background Check
- Complete FBI background check or sign volunteer affirmation form
Interested in getting involved. There are lots of ways to Get Involved with Cook-Wissahickon HSA this school year. While Cook-Wissahickon provides a solid groundwork for our kids to learn, additional support from the community and families leads to real success. We all have different availability, means, and skills, but there are many different ways to contribute. Browse the following list to find what best fits your interests and schedule! Everything helps and is appreciated!
- Show up:
- Attend school and HSA events like monthly HSA meetings, Back-to-School Night, our Annual 5K, WSC Events, Fall Festival, Movie Night, Evening of the Arts, and more!
- This is a great way to meet other CW families and staff.
- Get Your Volunteer Clearances: https://www.philasd.org/face/volunteer/
- Volunteer in your child’s classroom. Look for emails from the school and HSA about opportunities to be a Classroom Parent, a Guest Reader, a Field Trip Chaperone, or to help out with clerical needs.
- Sign up to volunteer for regular, repeat events like Uniform Sales, Library, and more. Look for emails from HSA with these volunteer opportunities or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest.
- Volunteer for special events like Movie Night, Fall Festival, Book Fairs, Holiday Shop, Schoolyard Cleanups, Field Day, and the 5K.
- Let us know if you have a special interest or skill set and are interested in helping with fundraising, grant writing, community outreach, etc.
- Join an HSA Committee: Attend meetings (https://cookwissahickonhsa.com/calendar/) and watch for emails!
- Volunteer for clubs and extracurricular activities as need arises (send an email to email@example.com if you have interest).
- Collect Box Tops for Education. Box Tops are starting to go digital! Less clipping, more instant rewards for our school! Instead of traditional Box Tops, there will be a “Scan” option on products. After you have purchased, you will scan your receipt into the Box Top App and money will directly go to CW! There will be some Box Tops to clip for the next year or so, so please continue to send them (do not need to be glued onto collection paper) to your child’s homeroom teacher in an envelope marked “HSA – Box Tops”. Each is worth $0.10 for CW!
- Donate uniform clothes your student has outgrown or no longer needs.
- Donate supplies, snacks, or money to your student’s class, the school, or extracurricular activities. Or Donate to the HSA via Paypal (https://www.paypal.com/paypalme2/cookwisshsa)
- Have your student participate in NUT (No Uniform Today) Days – For a cost of $1 students can dress down on half days, Fridays, and few select days. Visit https://cookwissahickonhsa.com/nut-days/ for more.